Have you ever wondered what online education entails? In South Africa, online learning has become quite popular amongst the working class as it allows you to learn a new skill set and still work a nine to five job. Whatsmore, online learning is also accessible almost anywhere. All you need is an internet connection. Keep reading to find out more about online learning in South Africa.
What is online education?
Online learning involves enrolling in a course on the internet and learning through online videos and assignments. Online education has grown popular over the last couple of years, as it allows students to study at home and in their own time. If you are interested in studying an online course, or would like to learn more about this method of study, take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of online education.
The advantages of online learning
- Online learning is convenient. It allows students to live a normal life and keep their job while furthering their studies.
- It is more affordable to study online courses.
- It is convenient for adults who have a busy lifestyle, especially for parents who have to stay at home with their kids.
- You can study from anywhere in the world, as long as you have a stable internet connection.
- You can earn while you learn. No need to quit your job to further your studies.
- It saves you time and money. No need to commute, or spend extra money on travelling to a campus.
- You can study at your own pace.
- Not all types of courses are available online.
- There is no personal connection between the student and the lecturer.
- You need a stable internet connection and reliable computer to complete your online studies.
- Without a lecturer continually checking on you, it is easy to procrastinate and abandon your online studies.
- Online learning is quite isolated. You will not experience student/campus life.
The disadvantages of online learning
Before you sign up for an online course, make sure that this method of study is suitable for you and what you would like to achieve. Keep in mind that you need access to a computer or tablet and the internet.
Where can I study online courses?
- Wits University
- University of Cape Town
- University of Pretoria